Waste Industry Safety Stand Down on Water Rest Shade
an initiative of the National Waste & Recycling Association.
This week-long training and awareness effort is focused on the prevention of heat-related illnesses commonly suffered by solid waste workers.
The Safety Stand-Down on Water Rest Shade runs the week of May 16 - 20, 2016. We are asking our chapters to join SWANA’s commitment, in conjunction with NWRA and other leaders within the solid waste community, toward significantly improving safety for the waste and recycling industry by taking part in this effort.
Participation in the stand down means that one’s organization and/or chapter has joined with waste and recycling companies across the country to commit to:
- Assess the risk associated with heat exposure
- Develop a Heat Illness prevention plan that includes:
- Understanding the health effects of heat
- Processes to prevent heat exhaustion
- How to respond to symptoms and illness
- Review and, if needed, update your company’s policy for safely working in the heat
- Let others know of your plans for the week
A free Safety Stand Down on Water Rest Shade Toolkit can be downloaded here.
Click here to register your participation in the Safety Stand Down
For your all of your industry safety needs, visit the SWANA 'Safety Matters' Website.